Thursday, November 13, 2008

Sorry it has been awhile. For those of you that know me, you understand what the last week has been like. For everyone else, I apologize.

Today was somewhat of a melancholy today. The colorful leaves are slowly disappearing and the perpetual drizzle is gloomy. Sadder even was the fact that we removed a mass/knot/lump, whichever you want to call it, from a lady's breast today. Though we do not have the pathology report yet, it is quite suspicious of cancer on ultrasound and post-operative inspection. I have never had any one close to me with breast cancer, but the tech in the OR had it herself.... It is a bit staggering to see this when removing benign lumps is usually a weekly occurrence. But to have to tell a lady's family that she likely has breast cancer and a radical mastectomy is the next logical step....it is hard. Fortunately for me as a student, the doctor does that and I watch. Fortunately for the surgeon, the family was well-informed and educated on breast cancer and suspicious themselves, making the burden of delivering the news much less traumatic.

On a brighter note, I am off this weekend. JT and I are going to visit my mom and Bob in Tennessee on Friday and Saturday then back to Somerset on Sunday for church. We are really hoping the church we have been visiting works out. I will keep you posted!

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

No comments: