Friday, November 07, 2008

FIREPROOF

Last night JT and I went with our dear friends Jason and Emily to see the movie Fireproof. It is not movie produced by some big Hollywood company but rather by an Atlanta church as an outreach. The movie focused on a young couple in a struggling marriage, Jesus' role in their lives, and overcoming of the problems in their marriage. It highlighted a book called The Love Dare, a forty day devotional/dare in which you do something each day for your spouse. For example, the first day was to Not say anything negative to your spouse while day 2 was to continue day one while doing something kind and unasked for. Each day compounded on the previous day, and it insisted on following through despite your spouse's reaction. It is late so my writing and reflection is not adequate to describe how the movie actually made me feel. However, it made me look at my own marriage, see my flaws in it, and also remind me of my deep appreciation for JT, where we are currently and the many struggles that have gotten us here. I feel we have dealt with enough struggles and change and growth in our five years...more than many marriages endure in ten or twenty...Yet, I love him and who I am because of him and who I am when I am with him. Seeing this movie helped to reiterate these feelings and certainties I have. I encourage anyone who would be interested to see the movie or look into the book, either of which will be of benefit to both strong and struggling relationships.

No comments: