Friday, October 03, 2008

Reverse Culture Shock....

I love home. I love the feeling of being near my family and the comfort it brings. However, I have not lived near home since leaving for college at Western Kentucky University in 2001. Once I moved to Bowling Green, which was two hours away, I never moved back home. JT and I then lived outside of Nashville, then Athens, GA, and then I was in Dominica and then New York City. With NYC being the most recent move, living back in Somerset KY is some new. I am not used to people slowing down to let you over or waving just to say hi or someone asking "How's your daddy's back" when you do not even know the person. New York was not like that. The only person we spoke to often was the dry-cleaner, Sunny, or Marcella, the 16 year old check out girl at the grocery, or Lefty, our waiter at the diner. Not here....everyone is so much nicer and friendlier. Even if it is feigned at times, it is welcomed after a year of NY.

I must say that today is a great day. I finished running errands to start at the hospital on Monday was like "What do I do now?" So I looked at my surgery book and glanced outside at the clear skies and dad's patio overlooking the lake.....Guess what I picked.... I have 12 long weeks of surgery ahead. Therefore, sitting outside won out today. We are going to spend tomorrow and Sunday on Dad's boat to celebrate his birthday, which is Sunday. It should be a lot of fun.

I hope everyone has a great weekend! Glad to be home.
~nat

No comments: