Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Babies...

Like I said before, I am in the nursery this week. In the morning we examine the babies, write progress reports, and everything like that. When there is a new baby, we do the initial newborn examine, complete an admission note, and present to the attending physician. But that is not the fun part. The fun part is playing with the babies....ie rocking them, feeding the ones whose moms are post c-section. It is amazing how swaddling a baby can almost invariably stop their crying, I mean as long as they are cleaned and fed. I am glad I have babysat and done the daycare thing before or changing a diaper would be foreign to me.

However, like the field of medicine in general, there are always problems. For instance, we had a baby yesterday who was diagnosed with congenital hip dislocation. The mother of another baby was diagnosed with ovarian cancer just after she delivered and it ruptured. She was in the ICU until today and the baby had only been held when the dad came down in the evenings... It is just the nature of the field I chose. The happy with sad.

Well, I am going to go. I have a presentation tomorrow and need to some reading before dinner. Have a great day.
~nat

No comments: