Monday, July 03, 2006



Four hundred years ago, another well-known English guy had an opinion about being alone. John Donne. He thought we were never alone. Of course, it was fancier when he said it. "No man is an island entire unto himself." Boil down that island talk, and he just meant that all anyone needs is someone to step in and let us know we're not alone. ~Meredith Grey, Grey's Anatomy (Funny to me because I am on an island....so that island talk really isn't crap....And see from the pictures, I am not alone....)

We're adults. When did that happen? And how do we make it stop? ~Meredith Grey, Grey's Anatomy

"As doctors, we're trained to be skeptical, because patients lie to us all the time. The rule is, every patient is a liar until proven honest. Lying is bad. Or so we are told constantly from birth. Honesty is the best policy, the truth shall set you free, I chopped down the cherry tree. Whatever. The fact is, lying is a necessity. We lie to ourselves because the truth... the truth freaking hurts." Grey's Anatomy

I am not really sure why I wanted to use Grey's Anatomy quotes. Also, my friend Zubeida and I were talking about literature today. That is why I found John Donne fitting. They seemed right, especially seeing as how being here can easily make someone feel alone. Have you ever felt alone? I should preface this saying that I am not feeling lonely at this moment or especially sad. I am just posing a topic. Sometimes you can feel lonely in a crowd of people. I have to say, recently I have felt much better about my loneliness. Granted, speaking to my dad and his family yesterday at their 4th of July cookout made me feel quite lonely. Don't get me wrong. It was great to talk to them. However, it just made me feel very far away. Luckily, I have good friends here. I thank God daily for bringing such a variety of people into my life. I also thank him for who those people are to me and for the strength to be what I need to be for them.

I guess it was more real this weekend because my friend's grandmother died. It was her mom's mom. It made me pick up the phone and call my grandparents. I could not reach my grandma but spoke to Granpa Stewart...... Reality checks, especially ones that happen here, 2000 miles from home, are not fun but bring out our strength and, consequently, our weakness. That is why I am thankful for my friends. Here, people see you at your very worst and rarely your best. That is why you know that if you make a true friend here you are likely to keep them....they have seen you at your worst and still like you....so goodness sakes they should like you at your best. I just thank God for these girls, one especially, that remind me I am not alone here.

2 comments:

Jill said...

natalie-i found your blog thru your facebook. I hope you don't mind me leaving a comment. I just wanted to say that I am glad you have friends there, true friends, because being far from home can be really difficult, really lonely, and really trying. I realize I'm a bit closer to home than you are, but I understand your feelings. hang in there :)

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»