Monday, January 02, 2006









(All these pics are of my apartment...great sheets, aye?)
"Hope is a rare gift that, if we are lucky, comes to us with the power to heal our lives. I've come to know that the deepest sense of hope often springs from the hardest lessons in life. It is in the darkest skies that stars are best seen---perhaps it is divine irony that within the darkest moments we are capable of revealing the greatest light, demonstrating what is best with humanity." Richard Paul Evans, The Timepiece

Today was mostly empty of activity but good nonetheless. I was down last night, crying a bit and missing home and people. However, today was refreshing. I woke up on my own. I cooked eggs and mushrooms for breakfast with passion fruit juice. Shruti and I went to campus to check out the bookstore. I can get my books on Thursday morning...And by the way, the bookstore was quite nice. It had BAGELS; I was so excited. They have a lot of other stuff but it all comes at price. Like everything else on this island.

I tried two new things today... the first was sugar cane. It is a white fiber-like material with a sweet juice. You chew on the stuff to get the juice out, and then throw away the fibers. It was very good. They sell fresh sugar cane juice on Saturday's at D's fruit stand. The owner is Dawn, a large, loud local lady who is very sweet. They have great fruit and juice. The second thing I tried was an Indian bread Shruti's mom sent with her. It is wheat flour fried with lots of spices and veggies. It was very good and interesting to try.

Other than that I have spent alone time today, and I have enjoyed it. I watched JT's game on my computer, had tortilla chips as an afternoon snack, did small exercises in my room, and cleaned up. I am going to watch the UGA football game tonight. They play West Virginia. It should be a decent game. JT sold our tickets to Gary Garrett, my old boss at State Farm. I should make a shout out that the UGA Men's Basketball team won today, making them 10-3. Pretty great.

Here are my resolutions!
1. Lose weight (I will not tell my goal in case I don't make it...only few people know it.)
2. Establish more self esteem
3. To learn without a serious preoccupation with grades
4. Maintain and strengthen current friendships and relationships
5. Drink more water and less soda

Keep your comments and emails coming! I love getting them.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved your pictures. They were great. I also loved your New Year's resolutions. You have achieved so much. I know these will also be achieved. I am so proud of you and miss you a bunch. I hope you have a great week. MOM

Anonymous said...

I too am so proud of you and encourage you to stick to your resolutions- I know you will if you set your mind to it. I love the quote about hope; it is so true that in what seem to be the darkest of times, you truly understand the meaning of having hope (we both know this). Love ya & keep on truckin!

Anonymous said...

Hey Nat! Happy New Year! I love reading and seeing your pictures! I want to call, but don't want to wake you up if you're going to bed and getting up early to go to the market... What is the time difference there? Best wishes on what I know will be another success for you! Leslie

Anonymous said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
You can do this!!And you will! How cool is that!!
There are three things that will endure, Faith, Hope and Love! You have them all. And that's a true blessing! Lots of love!!
Pam,Joey and McKensie

Anonymous said...

Nat! Thanks for sending all the info..."we" miss you. Stella got her shots today, needless too say she was not happy and insisted on "flying" her bad habit to the nurse. I can't wait to show J your pics I will send pics of Stella soon! Happy New Year, Em

Anonymous said...

GREAT PICTURES! ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU'RE NEVER ALONE IF THE LORD IS IN YOUR HEART. HE'LL ALWAYS BE THERE FOR YOU. I LOVE YOU VERY MUCH.