Tuesday, December 06, 2005

"The In-Betweens"

Life is lived in the in-between moments not the big events. Look at the picture to the right...the small girls living in Dominica. They are so happy but nothing major is going on. It is a time spent with friends and that is enough. That is how I want to live my life, not in the flamboyant moments of praise and valor, but in the small, mundane events, the day to day moments. I want to hold hands with a friend and that be enough. Or watch a television show alone in quiet with my husband and words not be necessary. Those are the moments I cherish. But I want to take care to notice those moments more. To embrace them, enjoy them, live in them. It is in the in-betweens that adversitty happens. In the big, prosperous moments, many people want to be close to us, yet in life's smaller, adverse moments, those that are still around, those are the people that matter.

I am really going to miss a lot of people when I leave for school. Yet I am thoroughly persuaded that if the people whom I love and care about feel just a fraction of the feelings I have for them, our relationships will not falter but rather grow as a direct result of my absence. I am not looking forward to the leaving but the coming home with a greater sense of who I am and what those people mean to me. If I learn that in addition to gross anatomy, microbiology, genentics, etc...medical school will be a success.

No comments: