Friday, October 10, 2008

Psalms 139:14

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."

I have never found this phrase more true than since starting med school, and even more so since beginning surgery this week. My OBGYN experience made me realize the truth of this verse and the rest of the passage:
13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
16 your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

However, during this week I have realized how fearfully and wonderfully made we really are. It is a such a dichotomy of a description that is yet somehow true. It is wonderful and miraculous how each part of our body is so intricately put together. And yet simultaneously fearful in that there is such a delicate balance that keeps everything working. The slightest change or abnormality can throw all of this off. During this week, I have seen all that goes wrong with the body, whether it be opening someone's cancer-ridden belly, draining a wound, or fixing a hernia. Yet in this, you can see that only omnipotent God could but together something so beautifully designed. I know I know that is a bad ambiguous description, but I tried to explain what I am thinking.

Anyways, it has been a long, busy week. I am SOO tired and it is only the first week. I will update more tomorrow. Heading to bed soon.
~nat

No comments: