Tuesday, February 19, 2008

So have you heard of killing time....well that is what I am doing. Who ever thought that internal medicine, the crux of the medical profession, would afford me so much 'down' or useless time? We have mandatory daily sign in and out. I understand the principle, but on days like today when we finished at twelve thirty, staying until five is ludacris (I spelled it like the rapper and not necessarily how it should be.) Anyways, normally we take turns signing one another in and out to avoid needlessly torturing all of us (meaning my few friends) at once. Today is my day to stay, which stinks because I was supposed to do my run this morning and over slept...And we have 7:30 bible study tonight. At least if I could leave here, I could work out in the meantime. I guess I could go home, work out and come back...but it is an hour each way making it an hour home, an hour at the gym, an hour back down here, and another hour home....making it four hours. That would just waste time, but in a different way. So I am going to stay. I will go to the phlebotomy lab and take urine for the pregancy tests of 14 year old girls happy to be pregnant, draw blood from ladies whoe think the tag "medical student" = moron (which it sometimes does), and have to listen to this girl in lab, another student, talk incessantly about nothing....and she knows EVERYTHING! She is what I like to call a "one-upper". She has always done it better, longer, smarter than you.

I don't like to complain about the rotation, but I am at my wit's end. I pay $13,000 every four months and this is how I spend my time. At least I could be at home studying or at the gym or something. I am thankful for this rotation so that I could go ahead and get started. I have no one to blame but myself... I am the reason I am at a Caribbean school who does not have great rotations...so that is that I guess.

Another good thing to come of it may be a meal at Morton's Steakhouse Thursday night in Great Neck (which happens to be the town where JT is working). There is a pharmacuetical sales guy that invited our attending and his students----that means me----and since JT will be working, I think me and a few of the others might go. I mean, seriously, who is going to pass up a free Morton's Filet, wine, dessert....Again, I pay 13k every four months....free food sounds great!

I start my next rotation in the Bronx as soon as this one is over.... I got an email today from the director of the program. We have two weeks of night call..are you serious, and Saturday calls are 24 hours. I know residency is that way and I will get used to it...but can you guys see me on two weeks of night call. It will be funny at any rate.

JT is two days into his job and likes it so far. I know, it is still early but that is a good sign for now. He looks so handsome all dressed up in his suit, tie, and cufflinks! I hope he continues to like....I am from a State Farm family.

Today is my brother-in-law, Daniel's, birthday, so happy birthday to him. Tomorrow is my friend Maria's birthday and then Friday is mine.

Okay, I have officially run out of things to talk about. Have a great day!


post signature

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey...i called the other day and left a message...I have NO idea if it was the right number, so if it wasn't someone got a long message from me! I will try you this weekend...love you kati

Anonymous said...

our home phone number is 502 413 5853
nat