Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Feeding the Hungry.....

Sometimes living in NYC, you become "gloomy with the state of the world," to quote one of my favorite movies, Love Actually. Today, I saw something that reminded there is still good in humanity. Let me preface the story....Recently at church, we have been talking giving money, and one example was giving to the homeless. The point was, we often make excuses to not give money to homeless or begging people------excuses like "they are going to use it for drugs, alcohol or otherwise." Well, today, I was walking down the subway platform and saw an elderly white gentleman sitting on the benches begging for food or money. He said that he had not eaten in days....I felt in my pocket for change or dollars and found none. Sadly I kept walking then realized I had a bottle of water and turned to give it to him just as another young guy gave him some leftover cake. I handed him the water and continued walking. With my hand in my purse, I felt a package of tuna. I turned to walk back to him and saw something that made me realize good exists. I saw a young guy, about thirty, with arms full of shopping bags, stop, set everything down, open his bag, and give this old man his entire sandwich in a ZipLock baggie and some other food. It just made me feel good reminding me that there are people out there, even in this enormous city, who feel the pang when seeing someone hurting. I just wanted to share this with you. I hope it makes you smile or something.

post signature

No comments: