Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Presidency 2008

I must preface this by saying, first, that I am a conservative, both morally and politically. However, the main issue for me in this upcoming election is not one of moral concern or even one that is politically involved, but it is health care. Going into the medical field, I have a great fear of the Democratic party's outlook on a socialized medicine-like restructuring of our health care system. This would, in essence, make us like Canada or other nations, in that, yes, basic medical care would be paid for by the government. However, let's say that you get sick and need an MRI. These tests and advanced treatments, even in life threatening conditions, maybe require waits of weeks to even months and may not be paid for except by you. Even more than this, under their way of thinking, we say that "Oh, everyone will have their health care for free and the government is paying for it." But aren't we just taking the money we pay now in health care and now giving it to the government to supposedly pay for the health care. And for me, as a future doctor, in a socialized system, incomes for doctors are seriously diminished..... With that being said, I am not in the medical profession for the money, but I must, at some point, pay off my loans and build a life.

So that is my most important issue in the upcoming debate. I know some will say....I can't vote for Romney because he is Mormon. Are we really to that point in our country where we, as religious people that get mad for people not saying the pledge because "God" is in it, will persecute a man in words and ultimately judge him on the shear fact of his religion. Will the church he attends on the Sunday affect how he guards our borders....probably not. However, the fact that he indeed does have faith in God, despite our theological differences on the basis for that faith, will definitely influence his voting in instances requiring the aforementioned faith. I do not say this because I intend to vote for Romney. I am not sure who will earn my vote, but it will be with much thought and consideration that I give it out. I just wanted to make the point that if we want to complain about one thing, can we really judge another?

I welcome your differing opinions or additions to this post, even if you want to do so anonymously.

On a lighter note, I will add that JT and I went running in New York's Central Park at the Jackie Kennedy Onassis Reservoir. So now, to put it like a normal person.....we ran around this big lake in the park with really awesome city views on all sides! It was a lot of fun and just wanted to share it.
Have a great weak and I look forward to hearing from you.
~nat

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you

Dad

Natalie Henderson said...

I love you too!