Monday, July 31, 2006





Pictured: 1) Fort Young Hotel, where Nat and I stayed this past weekend. 2) Roseau, the Dominican capital from a lookout high atop the city. 3) A cross built by the British at the lookout that towers above the city. 4 & 5) Pics of Nat and I. Nat is standing in front of a waterfall on the hotel's property.

I wanted to give everyone some pictures Natalie and I took during our visit to Roseau this weekend. The outlook over Roseau and cross pictured were very impressive. We also visited Trafalger Falls (a huge waterfall in the center of the island) and Sulphur Springs (a natural hot tub of sulphur-infused water). We ate a fabulous meal at Ft. Young. Nat and I shared a seafood casserole that had crab, marlin, scallops, shrimp with a white wine sauce and cheese. Of course, Natalie was much more excited about the Creme Brulee!

The hotel was very nice. The pool was a highlight for me. (I guess most of you heard what happened to my parents' pool, I'm such bad luck). It was an infinity-edged pool, one that looks like it does not have an edge. It looked like we were swimming in the Caribbean Sea. Our room had a nice balcony that sat high above the Caribbean. It was a great place to chill. The hotel was originally a fort built by the British in the 1700s and named after the first English governor of Dominica. The fort and island were eventually overtaken and controlled by the French until the natives won their independence in the mid 1900s. There is a huge Anglican (the church of England) and Catholic (French) influence on the island.

By the way, I actually saw a basketball court during our trip to Roseau. They are very rare in Dominica. The Dominicans are rabid about cricket and futbol (soccer). Someone suggested that I move down here and coach the Dominican national basketball team and try to take them to the Olympics (kind of like the Jamaican bobsled team)!

Nat is busy studying now. However, busy is a poor choice of words; she has nine tests that start on Friday. Needless to say, our time together has been drastically cut back. She continues to amaze me. I wish all of you could see her dedication and work ethic. Not many people I know could handle the workload here, much less being 3000 miles from home. She is so special! I am so fortunate that God created her and saved her for me. It is nothing short of a miracle how God brought us together. If you have the the interest and about two days, I will be happy to share all the "coincidences" that brought us together (I put coincidences in quotes because our meeting and subsequent relationship was anything but chance). Many days, I do not think I deserve her. Anyone else feel like that about their spouse? It's a very intimidating feeling. I mean, she is going to be a doctor and all I can do is coach basketball!

There is not much to do while Nat is in class, so I have been hitting the gym on campus up. I am doing an hour of cardio work everyday and also lifting weights. My health is great. I feel like a new person (and hopefully look like one also). I have also been reading quite a lot and working on basketball and school stuff. Until next time,

JT

"R.I.P. KEVIN BROPHY #3. I MISS YOU AND LOVE YOU."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

jt...when you were siting all of the facts about dominica you sounded like todd at the family reunion last year in ohio

Anonymous said...

Loved reading about all the things you guys are doing. Was Gretch being a being a wise cracker, "Nooo, not our Gretch" You got to love that girl, for sure!!
Study hard Nat and JT don't kill yourself at the gym!

Anonymous said...

JT you look great!!! Of course Natalie does as well! I agree, it is very intimidating when God selects a spouse for you that you truly feel you do not deserve, but isn't it a great feeling to know that they love you!