Sunday, February 26, 2006

The child must know that he is a miracle, that since the beginning of the world there hasn't been, and until the end of the world there will not be, another child like him.
Pablo Casals

If you can not determine the picture to the left, it is a baby in the mother's placenta. Some of you may find this inappropriate, but to be honest, I don't care because I deem it life's greatest miracle. This part of what I am stuyding today and wanted to share this with you. I am studying the placenta. However, I have learned that a baby's heart beats full of its own blood 35 days after conception....35 Days. Some women do not even know they are pregnant, and there is a heart beat. I find embryology to be one of the most fascinating subjects I have been studying. Definitely hard but amazing, I find it makes me more intrigued about having my own children in the future. It has made me realize the resilience of such a tiny little thing. I also find it quite amazing that approximately 50% of pregnancies spontaneously abort (the medical term for miscarriage or losing the baby before you know you are pregnant). This is nature's way of the protecting the baby from itself. How so? Well, it shed some light on miscarriage for me. So if you have had one, it most likely not your fault. Nature does this most often if there are chromosomal abnormalities or mutations that can cause problems in the child. So, in essence, it is nature's method of protecting it's miracle.

Anyways, I found that too be quite interesting and worthy of sharing. I may post later, but I am off to study. My list of "Things to Do Today" include: Clean my room, Placenta reading, Neurotransmitter mapping, Anatomy practice questions, Histology practice questions, read Dr. Yin's packets, reread physiology packet, study TCA and glycolysis, and I am sure much more. Have a good day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I MISS YOU!