Sunday, February 08, 2009

I know it has been awhile. This last week I started a new rotation here in Kentucky, cardiology. I am doing two weeks of this rotation and I have already seen several caths, two TEEs (trans-esophageal echocardiagrams....looking at the heart through the esophagus. I am also preparing for my board exam which is on the 17th of this month in Chicago. It is a practical exam where you interview and examine 10-12 patients and the examiners watch you through a one way mirror. Creepy and stressful but it is pass/fail, so that is on my side. To be honest, I am not studying right now. I am watching the Grammy's. Jennifer Hudson is singing.

Tomorrow, Feb 9th, is my Grandma Morris's birthday (my mom's mom). She will be 79. I made her a German Chocolate cake tonight but my dad and I were distracted practicing for my test and it is going to be dry. Thankfully, dad is going to bake one at his office tomorrow and I can put icing on it when I get home. She won't care. She will just be happy to have a cake. Plus, I going to pick us up some take out from Cracker Barrel, her favorite. She loves the country ham on sourdough bread with a side of hashbrowns and chicken/dumplins. She is very particular for someone who is not buying, but I do love her. She is so much fun, even you do inevitably smell like Dural Light 100's in a soft pack every time you leave. I also found her a little porcelain plaque thing that says "what happens at grandma's, stays at grandma's". I think she will appreciate it! Regardless, we will have a good time, eating Cracker Barrel, a Southern fav, and watching GAC country videos.

JT and I went to church today. We had a month long hiatus while I was in Knoxville, which was no real excuse since I came home. The service was great. We both enjoyed the music and it was good to hear a message on not compromising, even on the small things, like your language or what you do with your time and what you do when no one is watching. It made me think of the song Slow Fade by Casting Crowns, especially the ones that say:
"It's a slow fade
When you give yourself away
It's a slow fade
When black and white are turned to gray

And thoughts invade, choices are made
A price will be paid
When you give yourself away

People never crumble in a day
Daddies never crumble in a day
Families never crumble in a day"

It really is something to think about. Thankfully they have started a new Sunday School class that is just getting underway. It is for 20-30s, singles and married. We are doing a study of 1 &2 Thessalonians. I have high hopes that will be something that helps both JT and I grow. Of course it comes the month before I head to Chattanooga for a peds rotation.

I will try to do better this week updating and will definitely take pics in Chicago.

1 comment:

Gina said...

Hey Natalie! I hope you enjoy Chicago! We miss you...it is certainly quiet in our office now with one less doc. Here is my blog if you are interested:
http://missjanies.blogspot.com/