Saturday, July 22, 2006


R.I.P. KEVIN BROPHY #3
GOD BE WITH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. YOU WERE TAKEN FROM US MUCH TOO EARLY- THAT'S OUR LOSS. I'LL SEE YOU WHEN I GET THERE!

Hey everyone, it's JT. I am blogging to you from Dominica. First, I have some tragic news for those of you I haven't spoken to. One of my players at the University of Georgia, Kevin Brophy, was killed in a car accident Thursday evening. Kevin was a great kid. I was Kevin's assigned "Academic Coach/ Personal Mentor" for over two years, so he and I became very close. I watched him grow as a person and basketball player. I envisioned Kevin accomplishing many amazing things in his life. Unfortunately for us and this world, those accomplishments will never materialize. Kevin was Australian, but moved to Savannah, GA for his senior year of high school to further his basketball career. He was travelling from Athens (where UGA is) to Savannah when he had his accident.
I was in Athens when Kevin had his accident. When I got on the plane Friday morning to travel to Dominica, it was with bittersweet emotions. I am going to miss the Memorial Service for Kevin that will be held Monday in Athens.
Unless you have been involved in big-time college athletics, it is very difficult to grasp the lifestyle and how close you become to those who are fighting those battles along side of you. I think it has similarities to the military in that regard. Like Natalie said, "You become very close to someone when you spend Thanksgiving and Christmas with them."
I will miss Kevin because of the person he was outside of Basketball. Honestly, the only reason he played at UGA was because of the type of person he was off the court. He was not gifted physically or athletically. You would not think he was an SEC Basketball player if you saw him from across the room, but whenever Kevin was in the game for us, something good always happened. Kevin was a winner, a fighter, and a great teammate. Someone asked Mickey Mantle what he wanted put on his tombstone and Mantle simply replied, "He was a great teammate." That adage would definitely apply to Kevin.
I appreciate all of you who called me and offered your words of encouragement following Kevin's death. I know many of you have been praying for Kevin's family, the UGA Basketball team, his friends, and me. I have wondered during the past few days what it must be like for someone to experience this without knowing and believing in, and having the assurances of Christ. I know that death is not final and that through Christ's death I have been assured that I will live forever with Him. My prayer is that God will use this tragedy for His benefit because I know everything happens for a purpose. Thanks for letting me vent some of my emotions on here. It has been very therapeutic.
On to happier subjects...It was great to see Natalie. She could not believe how different I looked (I have lost 110 pounds for those of you that do not know). My flight was 2 1/2 hours late leaving Atlanta. I landed in San Juan, Puerto Rico at 2:30pm and my flight to Dominica was scheduled to depart at 2:40pm. With the help of a wonderful Delta Flight Attendant and my swift feet, I barely made it to the other side of the airport to board in time. Apologies go out to the old lady, pregnant woman, and four kids I steamrolled in the San Juan airport, but I had to see my woman!!! Flying into Dominica is a beautiful sight. The island is gorgeous from afar. It jettisons out of the ocean magnificently with sharp mountains and beautiful palm trees. The airport is awful. It is the size of a 1-bedroom apartment, has no air conditioning, and is very run down. Natalie and her friend Puja were waiting for me with a cab when I landed. I am looking forward to making up for lost time with my wife over the next three weeks (I will let her study though). We are going to Fort Young Hotel next weekend. It is a resort here in Dominica with a pool and beautiful beach access. Natalie has made some wonderful friends while here. I have met many of them...Lindsey, Zubedia, Puja, Kim, Eddie, Lisa, and Christine to name a few. It has been good to now be able to put a face with the names I have heard all about for the past seven months.
I hope everyone is doing well in America. Talk to you guys soon.

JT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

J.T. Sorry about the sad news!! Have fun and post of pics of you two!!

Anonymous said...

heyyyyyyyyyyy cousin... missing you dearly hope all is well over there...and the studying is going great just checking in on you to see how you are doing. hope to see you both very soon.. JT, I am keeping you, the team mates, and kevin's family in my prayers!! I love you both and can't wait till I get to see you..
Love your cousin and cousin-in-law,
McKensie